The Nevada State Board of Cosmetology, under the provisions of NRS 644 Section 380 through 415, provides the following requirements and application for a license to conduct and operate a new school. Any person desiring to conduct a school of cosmetology in which any one or any combination of the occupations of cosmetology are taught must apply to the Board for a license, through the owner, manager or person in charge, upon forms prepared and furnished by the Board.
1. Physical Structure Changes (NRS 644.380.7)
- After a license has been issued to a school, the licensee must obtain approval before making any changes in the physical structure of the school.
Square Footage and Equipment
1. Each school of cosmetology must (NAC 644.080)
- Have, if the school provides instruction to prepare students for the examination for:
- (1) Cosmetologists, for each 25 such students in attendance, at least 5,000 square feet of floor space;
- (2) Hair designers, for each 20 such students in attendance, at least 3,500 square feet of floor space;
- (3) Aestheticians, for each 20 such students in attendance, at least 3,500 square feet of floor space; and
- (4) Nail technologists, for each 20 such students in attendance, at least 2,500 square feet of floor space;
- Provide properly equipped lecture rooms of sufficient size to accommodate all students;
- Provide separate lockers with sufficient space to store the student’s equipment; and
- Provide a document signed by the fire marshal who has jurisdiction over the location of the school stating that the placement of the equipment and the square footage provided for the maximum number of proposed students complies with all applicable laws, regulations and codes relating to protection from fire.
2. In order to determine the total number of square feet of a school of cosmetology, the floor space must be measured from the interior walls.
Staff of Instructors
1. Staff of Instructors (NRS 644.395)
- 2 instructors at all times for 25 students.
- 1 additional instructor for each 25 students enrolled.
2. No Instructor while on duty at a school may devote their time to the public or to practice on the public NAC 644.105.4.
1. Badge (NAC 644.105)
- Each student shall wear a badge with the word “student”.
- The badge must be worn at all times the student is in attendance at the school.
2. Time Records (NAC 644.110)
- Errors may be changed by the registrar and the instructor-both initial changes.
- Students can request a copy of time records that are paid for.
- Breaks and lunches must be documented.
- Enrollments, withdrawals, withheld, and completion can be submitted electronically.
3. School of cosmetology registrar shall (NRS 644.400)
- Not allow a student to perform services on the public for more than 7 hours a day.
- Conduct at least 5 hours of theory in 40 hour week/6 hours of theory in 48 hour week.
- Require all work by students be done on basis of rotation.
- Maintain apparatus and equipment sufficient to teach all subjects.
1. School Inspections (NRS 644.090.5)
- Inspections can be performed to ensure compliance with NRS laws and NAC regulations
- Citations and fines can be issued for violations.
2. Sanitation (NAC 644.310 - 372)
- Inspections check for compliance in all areas.
- Problem areas – dispensary sink area w/supplies – shampoo bowls – comb & brush storage – single use items (files, buffers, sponges, wood sticks, drill sleeves) all items that are porous and or absorbent.
- Proper cleaning and disinfecting reusable instruments and tools.
To review the full requirements to operate a school of cosmetology, select the appropriate link below.
Submitting a School Application
When submitting a School Application the Nevada State Board will require evidence of financial ability to provide the facilities and equipment required by regulations of the Board and to maintain the operation of the proposed school for 1 year including financial statements which show between $150,000 to $1 million in funding to operate the school for 1 year. Audited financial statements are preferred but not required.
In addition, we will require a copy of the contract for the enrollment of a student in a program at the school of cosmetology. For the exact number of required enrolled students needed for your operations please refer to the links above.
When a cosmetology school applies for a business license several inspections are completed before the actual business license is given. One of the inspections required will be a fire inspection by the State Fire Marshal. NAC 644.080 (d): Provide a document signed by the fire marshal who has jurisdiction over the location of the school stating that the placement of the equipment and the square footage provided for the maximum number of proposed students complies with all applicable laws, regulations and codes relating to protection from fire.
State Fire Marshal
If all requirements are met by the State Fire Marshal then a copy of the inspection form will be given to the business that is inspected. A copy of the form or a copy of the business license is sufficient to comply with the law and must be included with the School application.
Once the application is submitted a Nevada State Board of Cosmetology, a staff member will contact the applicant to review the application and documents submitted. If approved, the first inspection will be scheduled with the school director and the license will be issued once all inspection criteria has been met.